Friday, September 17, 2010

Shed and Tank

This past week has been sort of busy. The first order of business was to get rid of the little 20 pound bottle of propane we have been using to heat and cook with. Having to have to fill it every week was getting to be a pain in the butt. In the beginning it was convenient, but now that the house is set up in place, it is time to get the big daddy tank brought in. I first called around to area propane dealers to find out what kind of rates were out there. They varied along with the costs of setting the tank. I went with one of the local companies, partly because they were cheaper, though not the cheapest, but partly because they are local and I actually know a lot of the employee's personally. I called, got an application, filled it out and returned it with a sizable check and the following week they arrived and set my tank where I wanted it. They were unable to bury the line right away due to their trencher being in the shop, so they said they would be back to do that next week. With the bigger tank I was also able to light the water heater. Previously, if I had lit it, the 2olb'r would be empty far faster than just heating and cooking with it. Now I am able to enjoy showers at home rather than trucking over to the parents which though close, is not always convenient.



Another area I focused on this past week was setting up a Shed In-A-Box. Menard's has got an interesting campaign going here. First I got a toilet In-A-Box and now I picked up a Shed In-A-Box. I would not have gotten such a temporary shelter if it had not been for my cousin who picked up two last year. Through his experience with them I was able to see how they would weather through the snow and cold and so far they are doing just fine. At this time I have all of our storage stuff, most of it in totes, sitting in my paintball staging building and that is not good since I have my big fall paintball game coming up in a few weeks and need the space. For expedience I went with this temporary storage shed so I could find a home for all that stuff and have it closer to hand by the house (the paintball building is on the other side of the property).


The shed itself is not priced to bad. I paid $140 for it (after tax) and it is 10x10 foot. I had a good area for it, back in the trees, a little out of site to the side of the house. Convenient for me, but not convenient to anyone just driving up the driveway looking for stuff to swipe. The ground here was already level so I opened the box up and started assembling this adult jungle-gym. There are a lot of pipes, bolts, covers and ratchets. All in all, pretty easy to assemble as long as you follow the directions and seems to be very solid and stable. It is anchored to the ground with large auger type rods that are over a foot in length. I plan to put down some pallets to set the stuff on for added protection besides the totes all the stuff is already in. I set up a little narrow table I had along one wall for a work bench too since I don't have a garage at this time. Quite a lot of space for little $. Hopefully mine works as well as my cousins have for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment