Tuesday, August 17, 2010

More Work

Well, this weekend was extremely busy getting the trailer up and going. The first order of business Sat. morning was getting materials together that I would need for the day. This involved driving to the local feed store and buying some grass seed and hay. My next order of business was getting some hay, so that once I put down the grass seed I could cover it up. Needless to say, I live in farm country but the problem is everyone now uses those big round bales that weigh a ton. Finding square bales that are of a size that can be easily carried around is next to impossible now days. Having failed in finding hay, I instead went to my uncles and picked up the drag for leveling and smoothing the yard and driveway.


After picking up this stuff minus the hay I went home and used the lawn mover to pull the drag around the yard for a few hours. It worked very well. After that, I put aside yard ambitions for the time being and instead focused on deck building. Rather than sinking posts into the ground, I instead opted for building a box frame that the deck could sit on. This is not a permanent structure, so I scrounged around for wood that could be used without costing me any money. For the stairs, I also cobbled together something that is solid and will work well for the next few years.


Sunday was seal the roof day. I used sealant and went around all the roof caps (furnace, vent, etc.). Besides that, I also made sure all the windows and doors were properly sealed. I also slid under the trailer and sealed up any holes with expand foam. While I was at it I replaced the water heater vent cap and connected the chimney to the new furnace which I had installed a while back but never finished (its summer!). I also set about starting to set in the septic line. Digging thru hard pan is not fun, let me tell you.

Monday came around and rather than go into work I instead took the day off and went back to the local feed bin and purchased a few bales of hay that I had lucked out on finding this past weekend. I sucked it up and paid their exorbitant prices and brought my purchase home. I then focused on finishing up the septic and also put in a new toilet. I had been given a 'Toilet in a Box' as a gag gift. Now let me tell you, its a neat idea. You get everything in the box: toilet base, back, lid, seat, guts and even a wax ring. The parts though are cheap but apparently work so far.

After septic and the toilet I decided it was time to put down grass seed. I dug out my old seed spreader, loaded it up and went to town. Once I had spread all of it I then spread the hay out over it and watered it all down. Hopefully if all goes well within the next few weeks I will have the start of a yard.

The next major job will be re-insulating the bottom and then sheeting the base prior to the cold weather hitting, which in this area of the world is soon. Its mid August now and for example the temp last night hit 43 degrees. That makes it a little chilly when you wake up in the morning. There are a few other minor projects to complete on it before I can say it is fully done. Over the next few weeks I'll be tackling those.

No comments:

Post a Comment