Friday, August 13, 2010

Buying Stuff

I just want to take a moment to say that I like Craigslist. I often hear how people don't like it and they say buyer beware and in those cases, I would have to agree. I purchase mainly automotive parts, the likes of tires, and building materials and appliances. When I contact someone to inquire about a sale, I do my best to ask all the questions I can think of about the item prior to asking to actually look at it and buy it. So far, when I have shown up to pick up what I am interested in, it has been as described. If it wasn't, I can certainly tell you I would thank the person who was selling it for their time but tell them I will not be buying and the reason why. I don't need more junk than what I already have floating around.

Having said that, if you look around you can get some very good stuff. Some people sell stuff because they have no need for it any more and not just because it is junk they have sitting around. Last week I picked up a stove from a gentleman about 45 miles away. I needed a propane stove and this fine fellow had one. Best yet, it was only for $10! Add in the cost of $20.00 for gas, this was still a deal. I went in knowing that the stove was working in good condition. When I got there, the guy told me he and his wife had used it for one year in a trailer they lived in while they built (similar to what I am doing) and that once they were done they had upgraded to something a little fancier. They put this one into storage and their it sat. Now he was cleaning out old stuff and had to get rid of it and so I got a deal. As you can see from the picture, it was better than just working, it was like new! Like I said, I love Craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment