Monday, August 13, 2012

Well Building Slab

This past weekend I moved on from the well itself and started to concentrate on the protective building that will enclose the well and keep it from freezing once the cold weather of frosty winter rolls in. The first part of this process is forming and poring the slab that a small well house building will sit on.  I purchased several bags for quickcrete from the local building supply store.  I framed and leveled the from from some scrap 2x4's I had laying around and then with the help of my wife controlling the hose, I mixed up the crete in the wheel barrow and shoveled it into the frame.  I did not get real fancy with troweling the slab since its purpose is more a footing than a slab.  As it was setting I placed two anchor bolts on each side where later I can attached some treated 2x4's onto which the walls of the building will sit.

The following morning I pulled off the forms and then shoveled and shaped the embankment around the slab so water will run away from the finished building.  Throughout the day I spayed it down with water to help cure the slab and now wait for the time to start building the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment